15 April 2009

And we begin.......

Step 1
Got mum to assist with measurements and wrote them into booklet

Step 2
Remembered I already had a chemise from my Elizabethan experiment - it is a little tight under the arms but perfectly fine for this experiment! I still want to make a new one complete with blackwork embroidery, but it can wait for now.

Step 3
or decisions, decisions!!
Decided on a square neck bodice with front lacing so I can 'dress myself' and thought this would be easiest for a first attempt. I also decided on detached sleeves for flexibility. Still deciding on exact style of sleeve though.

Step 4 or more decisions!
Picking material! I went through my stash and found some very pale blue silkish looking material (it is not silk - not sure what it is but I got it courtesy of Aminah - thanks Aminah!). I also found some gold coloured brocade material for the sleeves.



Step 5
Making the bodice pattern
- draw the pattern onto brown paper using measurements taken with mum in step 1 and following instructions in booklet
- drafting the pattern was very difficult for me! After double checking some measurements (it just didn't look right) and a few goes later I finally had a paper pattern! Still not convinced it is correct ;-) Cutting out of scrap material (remembering to leave a seam allowance) and then adjust fit on. Update Pattern did not work very well - goofed it somewhere! The back was way too short! Back to the drawing board! I have a number of commercial patterns but I want to do more than that! I will be ordering Historic Patterns 'Italian Renaissance Gowns C 1470-1505' and 'Women's German Puff and Slash Gowns C 1500-1545 AD'. The Cotehardie one was good as was the gambeson one - unfortunately I just do not have the skills yet to draft a pattern!

Take 2
I didn't want to give up so went back and redrew the back piece of the pattern. I then cut it out of scrap, sewed it together and tried it on. I got my husband to mark the changes needed to the armholes and neckline. I adjusted the fit along the bust and then cut myself out of the toile. I unpicked the seams and traced the pattern back onto paper so I could re-use it. Hopefully I have it right this time!. I will now cut out my fabric.......


No comments: